Our Vision: To see student boarding become a professional industry where students are nurtured and thrive in a safe, caring, positive, skilled environment.
Our Mission: To design and deliver cutting edge, relevant and engaging training to equip boarding staff with professional qualifications for the new frontiers in student boarding.
Dr Steven Florisson is the visionary CEO of Boarding Training Australia and a passionate leader and mentor in the student Boarding industry. While a Boarding school Principal, Steve saw the need for a nationally recognised training qualification for Boarding staff. Since 2010, Steve and his wife Jennifer have trained and equipped hundreds of Boarding staff around Australia and overseas, with a Cert IV or Diploma qualification.
Steve is known for his wide range of experience supporting staff and Management in all types of Boarding schools and Residences, with wisdom, empathy and humour. He is often consulted to review or audit Boarding programs, consult with new Boarding projects, trouble shoot staffing and program issues, deliver seminars, and share his expertise in the Indigenous boarding sector.
Qualifications and experience:
- Dip Teach, BEd, MEd, PhD, Dip Train, Cert 4 TAE, Dip Comm Serv, Dip VET, Dip TDD.
- 2017 Expert witness for the Boarding industry to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
- 2018 Leader of Secondary Boarding Reference group to Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Since 1990 – Board member of four Boarding support organisations.
- Since 2013 – CEO of Boarding Training Australia – Registered Training Organisation (40824)
Background: During teacher training in Perth from 1975, Steve supported himself as a housemaster at Christchurch Grammar, caring for 40 primary aged students, in the era of traditional boarding, largely unchanged for generations. Steve taught in the Pilbara and Kimberley of WA, before becoming the Principal of two boarding schools over the next 24 years. Residing in beautiful Esperance, Steve rides a BMW R1200 and is restoring his father’s 1937 Chev truck.
Jennifer Florisson (Blyth) had a very early introduction to boarding, as a newborn baby in a remote Aboriginal community, where her parents looked after 45 boys attending the local school. Jen studied pharmacy then teaching and taught in the Kimberley, Goldfields and Esperance, working for a time as a relief boarding supervisor and supporting Steve to develop and coordinate the boarding program.
Qualifications and experience:
- Dip Teach, Cert IV TAE, Cert IV Comm Serv, Dip VET, Dip TDD.
- Developing cutting edge training material in –
- Indigenous cultural awareness through positive relationships with Aboriginal people
- Current Child Protection training material
- Understanding of youth mental health issues and the use of the Case Management in Boarding,
- Manages BTA student assessments, marking and progress
Jenny loves nurturing her grandchildren, the cottage and vegetable gardens, Church Childrens’ ministry and operating two AirBnBs.
Together: Steve and Jenny recharge their batteries on cycling holidays in France, and enjoy photography, serving on the Board of a local Care Service charity and time with their expanding family, (now almost four grandchildren) and local church. They have been privileged to deliver training in International boarding schools in Germany, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and China.